Post Valentine's Day - Where's the love??
So its a few days after Valentine’s Day…where’s the love?
Isn’t it great that there’s a day designated to express your heartfelt feelings to those you love?
And what about YOU? Do you devote an entire day to showering yourself with love? And what about the other 364 days? Do you EVER give yourself undivided attention, admiration and love? Or is the ‘self talk’ (yes, we all do it) filled with criticism, angst and self-loathing?
Self-love is one of the biggest factors in BEING well and having longevity but unfortunately one of the areas that is most neglected. Anybody that’s ever flown in a plane knows the instruction ‘to place the oxygen mask on yourself, before putting it on your child or anyone needing assistance.’ There is a very good reason for this instruction. If you don’t take care of yourself first, you won’t have the strength or ability to help others.
This message aligns perfectly with the practices of good health, vitality and overall well-being that I focus on with clients. If you don’t take care of yourself, EVERYDAY, your ability to give, experience and be all that you desire in your life, will be limited. Not getting enough sleep, not moving your body daily, not eating nourishing foods 80% of the time or cultivating enjoyable uplifting relationships are just some of the areas that impact our health, our body’s ability to bounce back from illness and longevity.
Looking for ways to incorporate Self Love habits without feeling overwhelmed…keep reading!
Self Love Tips:
- Start with one area that you know you’re neglecting. Bring some focus and attention to that area. Is it sleep/rest? Or eating food that makes you feel good? Moving/Exercise? Getting outside? Taking some time (even if 5 minutes) to talk with a friend or family member? Whether we’re conscious of it or not, we do the things that we think are important. Making yourself a priority will enhance your health.
- Sign off of electronics 30 minutes before you get into bed. There are proven studies that show electronic devices do interrupt good sleep patterns. And if you really want to give yourself some deep love, take social media off your phone…you’ll easily free up some time and you’ll be happier. Promise!
- Be patient and kind to yourself. You are whole and complete, with nothing to prove. Simply being on this earth is a reason to give yourself some love.
- Take some deep breaths. Often. Sitting at a traffic light. Before picking up the kids. Before cooking. Before eating. Before your many meetings during the day. Breath out the stress and inhale your self love.
- Tell yourself 3 things that you love, appreciate and admire about YOURSELF each day. If it’s difficult for you, start with 1 thing everyday. Loving yourself becomes easier the more you do it.
Here’s to 365 days of loving yourself - more love in the world and more love to give.
With much love from me to you…